PHRASEOLOGY AND PRAGMATICS
The article has as its starting point the observation that the semantic-pragmatic presentation of phraseology in general and specialized dictionaries still tends to be inadequate. It tackles the question of how the complex semantics and pragmatics of phraseological units should be lexicographically represented, so that both the theoretical and practical lexicographical aspects as well as the user-oriented needs are appropriately considered. In particular, it addresses selected aspects of the pragmatics of phraseological units (figurativity, expressivity, contextuality, speech act potential, speaker attitude, text-type and media specificity) to exemplify which are the requirements for (contrastive) phraseology, applied lexicography, language didactics and translational practice. The article’s primary goal is to encourage and facilitate detailed systematic, corpus-empirical, analytical and contrastive explorations of the pragmatic aspects of phraseology. At the same time, it touches upon the problems that the rich pragmatic potential of phraseology poses for both theoretical phraseology and the practical application of its findings.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Linguistica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.