German-Slavic settlement and language contact in the region between the rivers Saale and Neiße – presented on the basis of selected place names
Keywords:German-Slavic, Old Sorbian, settlement contact, language contact, place names
The rivers Saale and Elbe mark the western border of the former compact Old Sorbian region. In the north Old Sorbian borders on Old Polabian, in the East and Southeast on Polish and Czech. Proper names are an important source both for shedding light on the history of settlement as the underlying ethnic, linguistic and social context, since the processes of historical settlement are reflected in the historical documentation of place names. The historical documentation of place names, their derivation and the reasons for the naming of places as well as the phonological and morphological features of proper names of the Old Sorbian contact region contain numerous traces of the Slavic-German continuity. The article, which is based on extensive studies of place names, presents some selected examples. In the Old Sorbian region a number of features of place names and their historical documentation provides indications of German-Slavic contact in settlement and language, for example:
1. Distinct determining words in place names,
2. Parallel name giving with the result of temporary parallel names for the same place,
3. Name changes in the historical documentation,
4. Translation of place names,
5. German-Slavic parallelism in the underlying motives for place names,
6. Secondary assimilation of an Old Sorbian place name to an element of the superstrate language (German),
7. German-Slavic place name doublets,
8. Distinct added elements,
9. German-Slavic and Slavic-German hybrid names.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2016 Inge Bily
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Linguistica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.