A Functional Approach to Compiling a Specialized English–Slovene Dictionary of Green Energy Terms
Keywords: specialized lexicography, function theory, user profile, communicative functions, microstructure
AbstractThe functional approach to lexicography argues that dictionaries must provide their users with concrete types of information, presented in a manner that suits their needs. To achieve this, the process of compiling specialized dictionaries must be improved. This paper examines the revision of a specialized English–Slovene Dictionary of Green Energy Terms, with particular emphasis on the functional approach to building specialized dictionaries. As the potential users of the unrevised dictionary differ from those of the revised version, this paper aims to show how the profile of the intended user affects the structure of the actual dictionary entry, as well as the dictionary’s main functions. The main objective of the paper is therefore to put forward a sound theoretical foundation for the improved construction of LSP dictionaries, so that they will truly serve as a helpful tool in solving those problems that normally occur in LSP communication.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
MrharL. (2013). A Functional Approach to Compiling a Specialized English–Slovene Dictionary of Green Energy Terms. ELOPE: English Language Overseas Perspectives and Enquiries, 10(2), 33-44. https://doi.org/10.4312/elope.10.2.33-44
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal ELOPE by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.