Qinghua School of Logic and the Origins of Taiwanese Studies in Modern Logic
A Note on the Early Thought of Mou Zongsan and Yin Haiguang
The article investigates the early thought of Mou Zongsan and Yin Haiguang, two important founding fathers of Taiwanese philosophy, who contributed significantly to its formation as an academic discipline in the two decades following 1949. The article reveals how their ideas related to modern logic originated from the so-called “Qinghua School of (Mathematical) Logic”. Herewith, the article tries to provide a platform that can be used to answer the questions of continuity and succession between the studies of modern logic as conducted at the most progressive (modernised) universities in late Republican China (especially Qinghua University) on the one side, and the formation and development of studies in logic in post-1949 Taiwan, on the other.
Carnap, Rudolf. 1946. Zhexue yu luoji yufa 哲學與邏輯語法 (Philosophy and Logical Syntax). Translated by Yin Fusheng 殷福生. Shanghai: Shangwu yinshuguan.
Chan, Serina N. 2011. The Thought of Mou Zongsan. Leiden, Boston: Brill.
Clower, Jason. 2014. Late Works of Mou Zongsan. Leiden, Boston: Brill.
Dai, Ningshu 戴寧淑. 2012. “Yin Haiguang yu Taiwan luojixue xueke jianshe 殷海光與台灣邏輯學學科建設 (Yin Haiguang and Formation of Logic as Scientific Discipline in Taiwan).” Shexue yuebao 8: 133–36.
Guoli Wuhan daxue 國立武漢大學. 1934. Guoli Wuhan daxue yilan 國立武漢大學一覽 (National Wuhan University Guide). Wuchang: Guoli Wuhan daxue.
Hu, Weixi 胡偉希. 2002. Zhishi, luoji yu jiazhi: Zhongguo xin shizailun sichao de xingqi 知識、邏輯與價值：中國新實在論思潮的興起 (Knowledge, Logic and Value: On the Emergence of New Realism in China). Beijing: Qinghua daxue chubanshe.
Jin, Yuelin 金岳霖. 1927a. “Tong, deng yu jingyan 同、等與經驗 (Identity, Equality and Experience).” Zhexue pinglun 1 (5): 1–18.
–––. 1927b. “Lun zixiang maodun 論自相矛盾 (On Self-Contradiction).” Zhexue pinglun 1 (3): 1–26.
–––. 1935. Luoji 邏輯 (Logic). Beijing: Guoli Qinghua daxue.
Lee, Ming-Huei 李明輝. 2014. “Dangdai xin rujia ‘Ruxue kaichu minzhu lun’ de lilun yihan yu xianshi yiyi 當代新儒家「儒學開出民主論」的理論意涵與現實意義 (Theoretical Meaning and Contemporary Significance of the Taiwanese Modern Confucian ‘Theory of the Development of Democracy from Confucianism’).” Asian Studies 2 (1): 7–18. https://doi.org/10.4312/as.2014.2.1.7-18.
Li, Da 李達. 1939. “Xingshi luoji yangqi wenti 形式邏輯揚棄問題 (On the Question of Sublation of Formal Logic).” Lilun yu xianshi 1 (2): 101–21.
Li, Wenxi 李文熹. 2013. Nianhua yixiao ye mangmang: Yin Haiguang ji qita wenren jiushi 拈花一笑野茫茫：殷海光及其他文人舊事 (Nipping Petals and Smiling at Wild Boundlesness: Old Stories of Yin Haiguan and Other Literates). Taibei: Xiuwei zixun keji gufen youxian gongsi.
Liu, Peiyu 劉培育, ed. 1994. Jin Yuelin de huiyi yu huiyi Jin Yuelin 金岳霖的回憶與回憶金岳霖 (Jin Yuelin’s Reminiscences and Reminiscences about Jin Yuelin). Chengdu: Sichuan jiaoyu chubanshe.
Mou, Zongsan 牟宗三. 1933. “Maodun yu leixingshuo 矛盾與類型說 (Contradiction and Theory of Types).” Zhenxue pinglun 5 (2): 35–119.
–––. 1934. “Luoji yu bianzheng luoji 邏輯與辯證邏輯 (Logic and Dialectical Logic).” In Weiwu bianzhengfa lunzhan 唯物辯證法論戰 (The Polemic on Materialist Dialectics), vol. 1, edited by Zhang Dongsun 張東蓀, 93–138. Beiping: Minyou shuju.
–––. 1941. Luoji dianfan 邏輯典範 (Logical Paradigms). Chongqing: Shangwu yinshuguan.
–––. 1993. Wushi zishu 五十自述 (An Autobiography at the Age of Fifty). Taibei: Jihu chubanshe.
Qi, Yudong 齊玉東. 2013. “‘Wusi zhi zi’ Yin Haiguang de shengming kulü ‘五四之子’慇海光的生命苦旅 (‘The Child of May Fourth’—The Bitter Life Journey of Yin Haiguang).” Zhongshan fengyu 2: 29–32.
Sernelj, Téa. 2014. “The Unity of Body and Mind in Xu Fuguan’s Theory.” Asian Studies 2 (1): 83–95. https://doi.org/10.4312/as.2014.2.1.83-95.
Suter, Rafael. 2017. Logik und Apriori zwischen Wahrnehmung und Erkenntnis: Eine Studie zum Frühwerk Mou Zongsans (1909–1995) (Logic and A Priori Between Perception and Realization: A Study in Early Work of Mou Zongsan (1909–1995)). Berlin: Walter de Gruyter.
Wang, Wenfang 王文方. 2010. “Taiwan liushi nian (1949–2009) luojixue yanjiu 台灣六十年（1949–2009）邏輯學研究 (60 Years of Studies in Science of Logic in Taiwan (1949–2009)).” Luojixue yanjiu 3: 110–38.
Xia, Weiguo 夏衛國. 2008. “Cong Yin Haiguang de guandian kan luojixue 從殷海光的觀點看邏輯學 (Looking at Logic from Yin Haiguang’s Standpoint).” Qinghai shehui kexue 6: 143–46.
Xiangren 湘人 [Hunanese]. 2017. Xiao Shafu pingzhuan 蕭箑父評傳 (A Critical Biography of Xiao Shafu). Kaohsiung: Duli zuojia – Xinrui wenchuang.
Yang, Shaojun 楊紹軍. 2009. “Yin Haiguang xiansheng zai Xinan lianda 殷海光先生在西南聯大 (Mr. Yin Haiguang at Southwestern Associated University). Xueshu tansuo 2: 1–2.
Yin, Haiguang 殷海光 (Yin Fusheng 殷福生). 1936. “Luoji he luojixue jiujing shi shenme? 邏輯和邏輯學究竟是什麽 (What Exactly are Logic and the Science of Logic?).” Wen-zhe yuekan 1 (7): 14–38.
–––. 1939. “Luojixue de jiben xingzhi 邏輯學底基本性質 (On Elementary Characteristics of Logic).” Xin dongxiang 3 (5): 944–48.
–––. 1943. Luojixue jianghua 邏輯學講話 (Talks on Science of Logic). Chongqing: Zhongguo wenhua fuwushe.
–––. 1944. “Xiandai suanli zhexue gaiguan 現代算理哲學概觀 (A Survey of Contemporary Mathematical Philosophy).” Dushu tongxun 88: 4–6.
–––. 1953. Luoji jiujing shi shenme? 邏輯究竟是什麽？(What Exactly Is Logic?). Taibei: Dalin chubanshe.
–––. 1957. Luoji xinyin 邏輯新引 (A New Introduction to Logic). Taibei: Dongya chubanshe.
–––. 2009. Yin Haiguang quanji 殷海光全集 (Complete Works of Yin Haiguang), vol. 13, Xueshu yu sixiang (zhong) 學術與思想 (中) (Science and Thought). Taibei: Guoli Taiwan daxue chuban zhongxin.
Zhang, Dongsun 張東蓀. 1939. “Butong de luoji yu wenhua bing lun Zhongguo lixue 不同的邏輯與文化並論中國理學 (Different Types of Logic and Culture – Discussed Together with Chinese Neo-Confucianism).” Yanjing xuebao 26: 2–39; 282–83.
Zhang, Shenfu 張申府. 1927. “‘Lun zixiang maodun’ 論自相矛盾 (On Self-Contradiction).” Beixin 2 (3): 337–41.
Zhu, Zhaocui 朱兆萃. 1933. Lunlixue ABC 論理學ABC (ABC of Logic). Shanghai: Shijie shuju.
Copyright (c) 2020 Jan Vrhovski
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.