The Collections of Old Japanese Postcards in Republic of Slovenia
During our research “East Asian collections in Slovenia”, old Japanese postcards were found in various institutions in today’s Republic of Slovenia. For most of these postcards we know the names of individual collectors and their backgrounds.
This paper presents 160 picture postcards, produced in Japan and some of them used for correspondence between 1899 and 1920. The photos on these postcards may be categorized into the following four: 1) ports, cities and tourist sights; 2) houses, gardens, clothes, hairstyles and customs; 3) particular objects, e.g. dolls, ships; 4) natural disasters. The period from the end of 19th century to the 1920s may be called “the period of picture postcards”, since postcards had the important role to convey information and news from far places such as Japan and East Asia.
Barclay, Paul. 2014. “How to Ascertain the Date (or Time Period) of Prewar Japanese Picture Postcards.” East Asia Image Collection Blog, Lafayette College, Easton, Pennsylvania. Dostop 15.3.2017. http://sites. lafayette.edu/eastasia/2014/09/04/how-to-ascertain-the-date-or-time- period-of-a-japanese-postcard/.
Marinac, Bogdana. 2005. “The Memories of the Journey of the His Majesty Ship Saida: The Austro-Hungarian Military Navy Ship Journeys as Seen through the Eyes of Slovenian Seamen.” Museo del Mare ‘Sergej Mašera’ Piran (muzejski letak).
Pajsar, Breda. 2008. “Knjižnica Ivana Jagra v fondu Bibilioteke SAZU.” V Sedemdeset let Biblioteke Slovenske akademije znanosti in umetnosti. Ljubljana: SAZU.
Park, Mijeong. 2014 Teikoku shihai to chōsen hyōshō, Nichibunken sōsho 52. Kyoto: Nichibunken.
Podberšič, Renato. 2010. “Ivan Koršič.” V Tvorci slovenske pomorske identitete. Življenje in dela VI, Biografske in bibliografske študije 4, uredil Andrej Rahten, 137–47. Ljubljana: Založba ZRC.
Pomorski muzej v Piranu (b.n.l.) Slovene Seamen in The Austro-Hungarian Navy (letak).
Rothaus, Richard. 2013. “John Jager: Unknowm Prairie Architect in Minnesota. Part1.” SAH Blog. Dostop 25.8.2016. http://www.sah.org/publications-and-research/sah-blog/sah-blog/2013/05/15/john-jager-unknown- prairie-architect-in-minnesota.-part-1.
Saitō, Takio 斎藤多喜夫. 2004. Bakumatsu Meiji Yokohama shashinkan monogatari Rekishi bunka raiburarii 175 『幕末明治横浜写真館物語』歴史文化ライ ブラリー175. Tokyo: Yoshikawa Kōbunkan吉川弘文館.
Shigemori, Chikako. 2016. “Surovenia kyōwakoku hokan no ehagaki korekushon 「スロヴェニア共和国保管の絵葉書コレクション」.” V Nihon teikoku no hyōshō: seisei, kioku, keishō 『日本帝国の表象 生成・記憶・継承』 (Izrazi Japonskega imperija: nastanki, spomini in dediščina), uredila Park Mijeoung 朴美貞 in Rei Hasegawa 長谷川怜, 219–44. Tokyo: Enishi shobō.
Stanonik, Janez. 1983. “Alma Maximiliana Karlin.” Australian Papers, 41–48.
Trnovec, Barbara. 2011. Kolumbova hči: življenje in delo Alme M. Karlin (Columbus’s Daughter: Life and Work of Alma M. Karlin). Celje: Pokrajinski muzej.
Zgodovina NUK. 2016. Dostop 25.8.2016. http://www.nuk.uni-lj.si/nuk/ zgodovina-nuk.
Copyright (c) 2017 Chikako SHIGEMORI BUČAR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.