New Investigations in the School of Names
Studies of names and argumentation from the pre-Qin period represent a precious inheritance left behind by ancient Chinese thinkers. As one of the schools from the pre-Qin period, nomenalism made a great contribution to the study of names. Modern research on nomenalism has been greatly affected by the Han Dynasty historians. However, their introduction to the school is vague. In respect to nomenalism, there are some unsolved problems that still need to be clarified and have not been noticed by many scholars. The present thesis analyses the characteristics and functions of nomenalism; it discusses the relations between nomenalists and sophists and epitomises their contributions to the study of names.
Cui, Qingtian 崔清田 (1997) 名學與辯學. (Study of Names and Study of Arguments) Xi’an: Shanxi jiaoyu chuban she.
Du, Guoxiang 杜國庠 (1962) 杜國庠文集. (Collected Works of Du Guo Xiang) Beijing: Renmin chuban she.
Lü, Buwei 吕不韦 (1989) 吕氏春秋. (The Spring and Autumn Annals of Lü Buwei) Shanghai Shanghai guji chuban she.
Pang, Pu 龐樸 (1979) 公孫龍子研究. (Research on Gong Sun Long Zi) Beijing: Zhonghua Shuju.
Qian, Mu 錢穆 (1985) 先秦諸子系年. (The Chronological Investigation into the Scholars of the pre-Qin Period) Beijing: Zhonghua Shuju.
Sima, Qian 司马迁 (1997) 史記. (Historical Records) Beijing: Taihai chuban she.
Xu, Shen 许慎 (2001) 说文解字. (The Shuowen Jiezi Encyclopedia) Beijing: Jiuzhou chuban she.
Zhongguo luoji shi ziliao xuanbian – xian Qin juan 中国逻辑史资料选 -先秦卷 (1986) (Selected Materials from the History of Chinese Logic, Pre-Qin Volume). Lanzhou: Gansu renmin chuban she.
Zhuzi jicheng 诸子集成（一）(1999) (The Collection of the Classics, Vol. I), ed. by Guan Shuguang. Changchun: Changchun chubanshe.
Zhuzi jicheng 诸子集成（二）(1999) (The Collection of the Classics, Vol. II), ed. by Guan Shuguang. Changchun: Changchun chubanshe.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.