Chinese Fine Art of the 3rd Century: On the Initial Stage of Development of Painting
The paper summarizes the extant written data on Chinese painting on silk in the initial century of the Period of Disunion (Six Dynasties, Liu chao, III–VI A.D.), known as the Sanguo (220–280) and the Western Jin (265–317) epochs. While it is scattered among diverse sources, it is mainly in the Lidai minghua ji treatise of Zhang Yanyuan (ca. 810–ca. 990). An analysis of accounts of individual masters and their creative activities attempts to reconstruct the probable artistic and essential features of pieces of art lost afterwards, offering a novel explanation of the initial stage of the formative process of an important genre of composition in Chinese painting and culture.
Chen Shou 陳壽, ed. 1982. Sanguozhi 三國志 (Records of Three Kingdoms). 65 juan, 5 vols. Beijing: Zhonghua shuju.
Сrespigny, Rafe de. 2007. A Bibliographical Dictionary of Later Han to the Three Kingdoms (23–220 A.D.). Leiden-Boston: Brill.
Fang Xuanlin 房玄齡, ed. 1987. Jinshu 晉書 (History of the Jin Dynasty). 130 juan. 10 vols. Beijing: Zhonghua shuju.
Fu Baoshi 傅抱石. 1962. Zhongguo gudai shanshuihua shi de yanjiu 中國古代山水畫史的研究 (Research on the History of Ancient Chinese Landscape Painting). Shanghai: Renmin meishu chubanshe.
Guo Qingfan 郭慶藩, ed. 1988 (repr.). “Zhuangzi jishi” 莊子集釋 (“Commentary on the Book of Zhuangzi”). Zhuzi jicheng 諸子集成. Vol. 3. Beijing: Zhonghua shuju chuban.
Huang Xinbing 黃新並. 1994. “Zhongguo Wei Jin Nan Bei Chao yishu shi” 中國魏晉南北朝史 (“History of Chinese Wei Jin Nanbei Period”). Zhonguo quan shi 中國全史. Vol. 8. Beijing: Renmin chubanshe.
Hucker, Charles O. 1985, repr. A Dictionary of Official Titles in Imperial China. Taipei: Southern Materials Center, Inc.
Jin Weizhu 金維諸, ed. 1984. Zhongguo meishu quanji. Huihua bian. 中國美術全集. 繪畫編2 (Collected Works of Chinese Art. Painting 2). Sui, Tang Wudai huihua. Beijing: Renmin meishu chubanshe.
Kao, Karl S.Y., ed. 1985. Classical Chinese Tales of Supernational and Fantastic: Selections from the Third to the Tenth Century. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
Kravtsova, Marina 2004. Istoriya kotaiskogo iskusstva (History of Chinese Arts). Saint-Petersburg-Moskva-Krasnodar: Lan Publishing House.
Kravtsova, M. Ye. 2010. “Wei Yan”. In Duhovnaya kultura Kitaya. Encyclopedia (Spiritual Culture of China. Encyclopedia). 6 vols, edited by M. L. Titarenko et al.,544. Vol. VI. Moskva: Vostochnaya literatura.
Lachman, Charles, ed. 1989. Evaluations of Sung Dynasty Painters of Renown: Liu Taoch’un Sung-ch’ao ming-hua p’ing. T’oung Pao. Revue Internationale de Sinologie. Monographie XVI. Leiden-New York: Brill.
Lancman, Eli. 1966. Chinese Portraiture. Tokyo and Ruttland, VT: Charles E. Tuttle.
Laing, Ellen J. 1992. “The Development of Flower Depiction and the Origin of the Birdand-Flower Genre in Chinese Art.” Bulletin of the Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities 64: 180–223.
Legge, James, ed. 1931. The She King; or the Book of Ancient Poetry, Translated in English Verse with Essays and Notes (London, 1876). Repr. The Book of Poetry. Chinese Texts with English Translation. Shanghai: The Chinese Book Company.
Li Hong 李紅, ed. 1997. Zhongguo huihua quanji 中國繪畫全集 (Collected Works of Chinese Art). Vol.1. Hangzhou: Zhejiang renmei chubanshe.
Lim, Lucy. 1990. “The Northern Wei Tomb of Su-ma Ching-long and Early Chinese Figure Painting.” Vol.1–2. PhD diss., New York University. UMI. Ann Abor MI.
Luo Zhufeng 羅竹風, ed. 1988. Hanyu da cidian 漢語大詞典. Vol. 2. Shanghai: Hanyu da cidian chubanshe.
Malyavin, V. V. 2004. Kitaiskoye iskusstvo (Chinese Art). Moskva: Astrel Publishing House.
Menshikov, L. N., ed. 1994. Gan Bao. Zapiski o poiskye duhov (In Search of the Supernatural: The Written Record). Saint-Petersburg: Peterburgskoye Vostokovedeniye.
Oshanin, Yi. M., ed. 1983. Bolshoi kitaisko-russkii slovar (A Big Chinese-Russian Dictionary). Vol. 2. Moskva: Nauka Publishing House.
Samosyuk, K. F., ed. 1978. Guo Ruo-xu. Zapiski o zhivopisi: cto videl yi slushal (Overview of Painting). Moskva: Nauka Publishing House.
Shen Roujian 沈柔堅, and Shao Luoyang 邵洛羊. 2002. Zhongguo meishu da cidian 中國美術大辭典 (Dictionary of Chinese Art). Shanghai: Cishu chubanshe.
Siren, Оsvald. 1956. Chinese Painting, Leading Masters and Principles. Part I. The First Millennium. 2 vols. London, New York: Ronald Press.
Sullivan, Michael 1961. An Introduction to Chinese Art. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.
Vinogradova, N. A. 2009. “Zvetu yi ptizi” v zhivopisi Kitaya (“Flowers and Birds” in Chinese Painting on Silk). Moskva: Belui gorod.
Wan Shengnan 万繩楠. 1989. Wei Jin Nan Bei Chao wenhua shi 魏晉南北朝文化史 (Cultural History of Wei Jin Nanbei chao Period). Anhui: Huanshan shuche.
Zan Lihe 臧勵和, ed. 1984 (repr.). Zhonguo renmin da cidian 中國人民大辭典 (Chinese Great Dictionary). Shanghai: Shudian yinxing.
Zhang Yanyuan 張彥遠. 1964, repr. Lidai minghua ji 歷代名畫記 (Record of Famous Paingtings of Successive Dynasties). Shanghai: Renmin meishu chubanshe.
Zhu Xi 朱熹, ed. 1989. “Shijing jizhuan” 詩經集傳 (“Collection and Commentary on the Book of Poetry”). 8 juan. Sishu wujing 四書五經. Vol. 2. Tianjing: Guji shudian.
Zürcher, Eric. 1959. The Buddhist Conquest of China: The Spread and Adaptation of Buddhism in Early-Medieval China. 2 vols. Leiden: Brill.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Asian Studies by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.