Analysis of Learner’s Production of Adjectives Using the Japanese Language Learner's Corpus C-JAS: The Case of takai
In this paper, we explore learner production of adjectives using the Japanese language learner's corpus C-JAS (Corpus of Japanese As a Second language). Firstly, we describe the overall usage of adjectives in the corpus and discuss the distribution of the adjectives among learners including their correct and incorrect usages. Then, we take the frequently used adjective takai "high/tall/expensive" as an example and show how the learners' production of adjectives develops in terms of form, correct/incorrect usages, and lexico-semantic coverage.
Nation, P. (2001) Learning vocabulary in another language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press
Srdanović, I. (2013, forthcoming) Daikibo koopasu wo mochiita keiyoushi to meishi no korokeishon no kijutsuteki kenkyuu: Nihongo kyouiku no jisho sakusei ni mukete (Description of Adjective and Noun Collocations Based on Large-Scale Corpora: Towards Dictionary for Japanese Language Learners). Kokuritsu kokugo kenkyuujo ronshuu (NINJAL Research Papers) 6.
Sakoda, K., Kinoshita, A., Konishi, M., Lee, J. (2012) Nihongo gakushuusha no juudanteki kaiwa koopasu no kouchiku to shuutoku kenkyuu: 3 nennkan no deeta kara bunpou shuutoku no katei wo saguru (The development of the Japanese learners’ conversational longitudinal corpus and the language acquisition research: observing the process of grammar acquisition from the three-year data). 2012 nendo nihongo kyouiku kokusai kenkyuu taikai yokoushuu (The proceeding of the international research conference on Japanese language didactics for year 2012)
Sakoda, K. (2013) Nihongo gakushuusha no hatsuwa koopasu to doushi no hattatsu. (Learners’ Spoken Corpus of Japanese and Developmental Sequence of Verbs) Kokugoken purojekuto rebyuu (NINJAL Project Review), 107-116. Kokuritsu kokugo kenkyuujo (National Institute for the Japanese Language and Linguistics)
Sakoda, K. (2012) Hibogowasha no komyunikeishon kufuu (Ingenuity of communication for non-native speakers). Nihongo kyouiku no tame no komyunikeishon kenkyuu (Studies in communication for Japanese language didactics), 105-124. Tokyo: Kuroshio shuppan
Copyright (c) 2013 Irena SRDANOVIĆ, Kumiko SAKODA
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.