Korean Orthography of Loanwords and spelling problems with proper nouns from Slovenia
Keywords:Korean orthography, Korean, Slovene, loanwords, foreignwords, spelling problems with slovene words in Hangeul
This paper firstly introduces The Korean Orthography of Loanwords and its history. Recently with more cultural and economic exchanges between Korea and Slovenia, the Korean Orthography guidelines for Slovene words are needed to guide words of Slovene origin when settling in Korean. Although Serbo-Croatian is not an official language of Slovenia, some Slovene words are currently written in Korean according to the guidelines for Serbo-Croatian in KOL. Therefore, we exam the current Korean orthography examples of Slovene words and suggest amendments based on the origin pronunciation. In order to avoid further confusion and to provide the foundation of Korean Orthography of Slovene words, we firstly demonstrated a comparison table of Slovene alphabet (abeceda) and Korean alphabet (Hangeul) supported with examples of Slovene words, and then suggested detailed guidelines on how to write Slovene words in Hangeul.
Cho, N.-S., & Park, S.-B. (2015). A study on the orthographic representation of Russian loanwords in Korean (러시아어 한글 표기법에 대한 제안). Issledovanija po slavjanskim jazykam, 20(2), 2015.10, 197-213.
Choi, J. Y. (2014). Study on Korean Rules of Spelling of Russian Loan Words (러시아어의 한글표기실태 - 학술 논문집을 중심으로). Korean Journal of Russian Language and Literature, 26(4), 2014.12, 139-164.
Greenberg, M. L. (2006). A Short Reference Grammar of Standard Slovene. Durham, North Carolina: SEELRC.
Herrity, P. (2000). Slovene: A Comprehensive Grammar. London, New York: Routledge
I, G. (1935). Oeraeeo Pyogibeop-e daehaya (외래어 표기법에 대하야). HAN-GEUL 3(6), 1935.8, 357-357.
Jang, H.-U. (2002). Problèmes de la notation actuelle du français en coréen et quelques proposition (불어의 한글 표기상 문제점과 개선안). Societe Coreenne d’Enseignement de Langue et Litterature Francaises, 13, 2002.5, 1-17.
Jung, J.-Y. (2017). Hangeul Notation on Dutch Words in Korean (외래어 표기법 속네덜란드어의 한글 표기법). HAN-GEUL, (317) , 2017.9, 211-238.
Kim, J.-W. (2008). Korean Orthography of Loanwords and Romanization of Korean From the Viewpoint of Translation (번역의 관점에서 본 외래어 표기법과 로마자 표기법). The Journal of Translation Studies, 9(2), 2008.06, 67-93.
Lečič, R. (2012). Basic grammar of the slovene language, language manual. Cerkno: Gaya d.o.o.
Lee, G.-S. (2016). The Transition Process and Acceptance of ‘Korean Orthography of Loanwords’ by Ministry of Education: With Emphasis on The Earlier Draft Plans and Editing. Materials of Ministry of Education before Enactment of Korean Orthography of Loanwords 문교부의 ‘외래어 표기법’ 변천 과정과 수용 양상 – 외래어 표기법 (1986) 제정이전의 문교부안과 편수자료를 중심으로). Korean Studies Quarterly, 39(1), 2016.3, 107-140.
Lee, H. H. B. (1989). Korean Grammar. Oxford: Oxford university press.
Lee, S.-G. (2011). Fundamental Law of languages based on “foreign words notation” Analysis. (국어기본법 근거한 외래어 표기법의 문제). The Korean Language and Literature, (158), 2011.8, 135-181.
Park, K. Ja. (1997). Zur orthographischen Umsetzung des Deutschen ins Koreanische (독일어의한글표기에 관하여), Deutsch als Fremdsprache in Korea, 2, 1997.6, 294-316.
Toporišič, J. (2004). Slovenska slovenica. Maribor: Založba Obzorja d.d.
Yu, K.-S. (2002). Standardizing transliteration of Italian proper names for Korean library catalogs and bibliographic lists 이탈리아인명, 지명의 한글표기. The Journal of Humanities, 5, 2002.2. 15-43.
Ziraldo, I., & Krofič, J. (2014). Problems of Hangeul Romanization into Slovene. Acta Linguistica Asiatica, 3(3), 71-84. https://doi.org/10.4312/ala.3.3.71-84
National Institute of Korean Language 국립국어원. (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.korean.go.kr/
National Library of Korea 국립중앙도서관. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.nl.go.kr/nl/search/search.jsp?all=on&topF1=title_author&kwd=들온말 적는 법
National Law Information center 국가법령정보센터. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.law.go.kr/법령/국어심의회규정/(01977,19641110)
Slovene alphabet and pronunciation (n.d.). Retrieved from http://slovlit.ff.uni-lj.si/sft/alphabet.htm
The most frequent Slovene first names (2018). Retrieved from https://www.stat.si/ImenaRojstva/sl/FirstNames
The most frequent Slovene family names (2018). Retrieved from https://www.stat.si/ImenaRojstva/sl/FamiliyNames
Največja slovenska mesta po velikosti [The biggest cities in Slovenia] (2007-2019). Retrieved from http://kraji.eu/thematic_page/najvecja_slovenska_mesta_po_velikosti/slovenija/slo
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2019 Minyoung CHANG, Chikako SHIGEMORI BUČAR
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.