Grammar Errors by Slovenian Learners of Japanese: Corpus Analysis of Writings on Beginner and Intermediate Levels
This paper presents the construction of a corpus of writings by Slovene learners of Japanese as a foreign language at the beginner and intermediate levels and an analysis of the grammar errors contained within it, with the purpose of providing a simple and effective means of acquiring data on errors made by students of Japanese as a second language. Additionally, an error analysis of the grammar errors in the corpus and a comparison of the most common errors found on both levels, reveals the types of errors that carry over from the beginner to the intermediate level, negatively affecting the learning process. By compiling and analyzing a collection of 182 written texts written by Japanese learners, 492 cases of grammar misuse were observed on the beginner and 564 on the intermediate level. A comparative analysis of the most common types of grammar misuse on each level highlights the types of errors that seem to carry over from the beginner to the intermediate level. The findings can be useful to Japanese language learners as well as teachers. Furthermore, the learner’s corpus created in the process marks the first step towards the creation of a larger, annotated and publicly accessible learner corpus of writings by Slovenian learners of Japanese to be used for further research in the field of second language acquisition.
Corder, S. P. (1967). The Significance of Learner’s Errors. IRAL, (5), pp. 161-170.
Harasawa, I. 原沢伊都夫. (2012). Nihongo sho chūkyū gakushū-sha no sakubun shidō: Gakushū-sha no goyō bunseki o moto ni [日本語初中級学習者の作文指導：学習者の誤用分析をもとに] (Composition learning for learners of Japanese on the basic and intermediate level, based on an analysis of learner errors). Shizuokadaigaku kokusai kōryū sentā kiyō静岡大学国際交流センター紀要, 6, pp. 79-92. Accessed 2. 9. 2018. https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110008917835
Ichikawa, Y. 市川保子. (1993). Chūkyūreberu gakushūsha no goyō to sono bunseki - fukubun kōzō shūtoku katei o chūshin ni [中級レベル学習者の誤用とその分析―複文構造習得過程を中心に― ] (The errors of students on the intermediate level – with focus on the process of acquisitions of compound sentence structures). Nihongo kyōiku日本語教育, 81, pp. 55-66.
Ichikawa, Y. 市川保子. (1997). Nihongo goyō reibun shōjiten [日本語誤用例文小辞典] (Small dictionary of examples of misuse in Japanese) . Tokyo: Bonjinsha.
Kawaguchi, R. 川口良. (1995). Chūjōkyū nihongo gakushūsha no sakubun ni miru goyō no ichirei [中上級日本語学習者の作文にみる誤用の一例] (Types of errors that appear in the compositions of learners of Japanese on the intermediate and advanced level). Gengo bunka to nihongokyōiku言語文化と日本語教育, pp. 178-188.
National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics. (2016). Learner Corpus Study of Aquisiton of Japanese as a Second Language. NINJAL, http://lsaj.ninjal.ac.jp/, Accessed 10. 4. 2018.
Noda, H. 野田尚史, & Sakoda, K. 迫田久美子. (2019). Gakushūsha kōpasu to nihongo kyōiku kenkyū 学習者コーパスと日本語教育研究 (Learners' Corpora and Japanese Language Education Research). Tokyo: Kurosio.
Otsuka, K. 大塚薫, & Masayoshi, H. 林翠芳. (2010). Chū jōkyū reberu no Nihon gogakushūsha no sakubun shidō ― iken bun ni miru goi kanji shiyō oyobi goyō no bunseki kekka o fumaete ― [中上級レベルの日本語学習者の作文指導―意見文にみる語彙・漢字使用及び誤用の分析結果を踏まえて―] (Teaching composition of Japanese language learners at middle and upper level-based on analysis of vocabulary, kanji use and misuse in opinion sentences). Kōchidaigaku sōgō kyōiku sentā shūgaku ryūgakusei shien bumon kiyō高知大学総合教育センター修学・留学生支援部門紀要, 4, pp. 47-66. Accessed 2. 9. 2018. https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/120002187909
Suzuki, T. 鈴木智美. (2002). 2000-nendo chūkyū sakubun ni mirareru goi imi ni kakawaru goyō ― sho chūkyū reberu ni okeru goi imi kyōiku no jūjitsu o mezashite [2000年度中級作文に見られる語彙・意味に関わる誤用―初中級レベルにおける語彙・意味教育の充実を目指して―] (Misuse of vocabulary and semantics found in the composition of students on the intermediate level in the year 2000 - Aiming at enhancement of vocabulary and semantics education on the beginner and intermediate level -). Tōkyōgaikokugodaigaku ryūgakusei nihongo kyōiku sentā ronshū東京外国語大学留学生日本語教育センター論集, 28, pp. 27-42. Accessed 2. 9. 2018. http://repository.tufs.ac.jp/bitstream/10108/20943/1/jlc028003.pdf
Teramura, H. 寺村秀夫. (1990). Gaikokujingakushūsha no nihongo goyōreishū [外国人日本語学習者の日本語誤用例集] (Collection of misuse of foreign Japanese learners) . Teramuragoyōreishū database 寺村誤用例集データベース. Accessed 15. 1. 2018. http://teramuradb.ninjal.ac.jp/teramura.goyoureishu.pdf
Umino, T. et al. (2012). Learners' Language Corpus of Japanese. Tokyo University of Foreign Studies. Accessed 1. 9. 2018. http://cblle.tufs.ac.jp/llc/ja/index.php?menulang=en
Yō, H. 楊帆. (2014). Chūkyū Nihongo gakushūsha no sakubun ni okeru konnan-ten: Bun kōzō no koōkankei ni tsuite [中級日本語学習者の作文における困難点 : 文構造の呼応関係について] (Difficulties in the compositions of Japanese learners on the intermediate level: on correspondence of sentence structure). Akitadaigaku kokusai kōryū sentā kiyō秋田大学国際交流センター紀要, 3, pp. 15-28. Accessed 2. 9. 2018. https://ci.nii.ac.jp/naid/110009768148/en/
Copyright (c) 2020 Miha PAVLOVIČ
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.