Development of a Learners’ Dictionary of Polysemous Japanese Words and Some Proposals for Learners’ Lexicography
The dictionary series Nihongo tagigo gakushū jiten (“A Learner’s Dictionary of Multi-sense Japanese Words”) proposes a new approach to learners’ dictionaries, based on cognitive linguistics theory and on a corpus-based approach. Each entry is presented as a semantic network which follows the patterns of semantic extensions from a word's core meaning to derived meanings. A corpus, Sketch Engine, was consulted in order to select natural and frequently used examples, which were then edited to make them understandable to learners. Illustrations are also provided in an attempt to visualise the common meaning (schema) shared by the various meanings of the word.
Cambridge University Press (2008). Cambridge Advanced Learner’s Dictionary. Third Edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Hornby, A.S., Cowie, A.P., & Gimson, A.C. (1973). Oxford Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English. Third Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
Imai, S. [今井 新悟] (2010). Nihongo gakushū jisho kaihatsu no kadai to yōken ni tsuite [日本語学習辞書開発の課題と要件について] (“On the tasks and conditions for developing Japanese learners’ dictionaries”), Yamaguchi kokugo kokubun [山口国語国文], 33, 86-96.
Imai, S. [今井 新悟] (2010). Risō no nihongo gakushūsha jisho o mezashite [理想の日本語学習者辞書を目指して] (“Towards the ideal dictionary for learners of Japanese”), Nihongo gakushū jisho no kaihatsu to nihongo kenkyū yokōshū [日本語学習辞書の開発と日本語研究予稿集] (“Japanese Linguistics and the Development of Japanese Learner’s Dictionaries - Proceedings”), 1-10. Tsukuba: Tsukuba University [筑波大学].
Imai, S. [今井 新悟] (2011). Nihongo tagigo gakushū jiten Keiyōshi - fukushi hen [ 日本語多義語学習辞典 形容詞・副詞編] (“A Learner’s Dictionary of Multi-sense Japanese Words: Adjectives, Adverbs”), Tokyo: ALC.
Maekawa, K. [前川 喜久雄] (2012). Gendai kakikotoba kinkou koopasu (BCCWJ) no kouchiku to KOTONOHA keikaku no ayumi [現代書き言葉均衡コーパス（BCCWJ）の構築とコトノハ計画の歩み] - The construction of “the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese (BCCWJ)” and the progress of the KOTONOHA plan. Nihongengogakkai dai 144 kai taikai yokoushuu [日本言語学会第144回大会予稿集“Proceedings of the 144th meeting of the Linguistic Society of Japan”]), 352-357.
Moriyama, S. [森山 新] (2012). Nihongo tagigo gakushū jiten Dōshi hen [日本語多義語学習辞典 動詞編] (“A Learner’s Dictionary of Multi-sense Japanese Words: Verbs”), Tokyo: ALC.
Moriyama, S. [森山 新], Arakawa, Y. [荒川 洋平], & Imai, S. [今井 新悟] (2009). Ninchi gengogakuteki shiten kara no nihongo gakushū jiten o kangaeru [認知言語学的視点からの日本語学習辞典を考える] (“Reflections on learners’ dictionaries of Japanese from a cognitive linguistic perspective”), Paper presented at JSAA-ICJLE (Japanese Studies Association of Australia - International Conference on Japanese Language Education) Sydney, Australia: University of New South Wales.
Pardeshi, P., & National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics [国立国語研究所] (2006-2009). Nihongo gakushūshayō kihondōshi yōhō handobukku no sakusei [日本語学習者用基本動詞用法ハンドブックの作成] (“Construction of a Handbook of Basic Verbs for Learners of Japanese”). Retrieved from http://www.ninjal.ac.jp/research/project/b/youhoujiten/
Perrault. S.J. (ed.) (2008). Merriam-Webster’s Advanced Learner’s English Dictionary. Springfield, MA: Merriam-Webster.
Sinclair, J. (ed.) (1987). Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary. London & Glasgow: Collins.
Srdanović-Erjavec, I., Erjavec, T., & Kilgarriff, A. (2008). A web corpus and word sketches for Japanese. Journal of Natural Language Processing - Shizen gengo shori [自然言語処理], 15 (2), 137-159.
Yamada, T. [山田 忠雄], Shibata, T. [柴田 武], Sakai, K. [酒井 憲二], Kuramochi, Y. [倉持 保男], Yamada, A. [山田 明雄], Uwano, Z. [上野 善道], Ijima, M. [井島 正博], Sasahara, H. [笹原 宏之] (eds.) (2012). Shinmeikai kokugo jiten dai 7han [新明解国語辞典第7版]. Tokyo: Sanseido [三省堂].
Copyright (c) 2012 Shingo IMAI
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.