A Survey of Register Labelling in Japanese Dictionaries: Towards the Labelling of Words in Dictionaries for Learners of Japanese
Writing by learners of Japanese as a foreign language often contains words that do not fit the style of their context. One possible reason for this is the lack of information on word connotation and usage labels in existing dictionaries. The present study examines the current state of connotational information and register labels in Japanese learner’s dictionaries, Japanese language dictionaries and dictionaries of synonyms, and proposes a possible technique for analysing the words’ descriptions. The study reveals that Japanese learner’s dictionaries and dictionaries for Japanese native speakers use different register labels and assign them from a different perspective. In the case of synonyms, presenting them in their context of use appears to be more useful than only listing them. Finally, the Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese (BCCWJ - Gendai Nihongo Kakikotoba Kinkoo Koopasu) is used to show how corpora can be a very important linguistic resource for the analysis of lexical register.
Gakken gendai hyōjun kokugo jiten [学研現代標準国語辞典] (2nd Ed.). (2011). Tokyo: Gakken Kyōiku Shuppan [学研教育出版].
Informative Japanese Dictionary - Nihongo o manabu hito no jiten [日本語を学ぶ人の辞典]. (1995). Tokyo: Shinchosha [新潮社].
Kadokawa ruigo shin jiten [角川類語新辞典]. (2002). Tokyo: Kadokawa [角川].
Kenkyusha’s English-Japanese Japanese-English Learners’ Pocket Japanese-English Learners’ Dictionary – Kenkyūsha einichi nichiei poketto jiten [研究社 英日・日英ポケット辞典] . (1992). Tokyo: Kenkyusha [研究社].
Kodansha’s Furigana Japanese Dictionary - Furigana eiwa-waei jiten [ふりがな和英・英和辞典]. (1999). Tokyo: Kodansha [講談社].
Maebo, K. [前坊香菜子] (2009). Go no buntaiteki tokuchō ni kansuru jōhō ni tsuite no ichi kōsatsu – Kokugo jiten to ruigo jiten no chōsa kara [語の文体的特徴に関する情報についての一考察―国語辞典と類語辞典の調査から―]. Hitotsubashi nihongo kyōiku kenkyū hōkoku [一橋日本語教育研究報告 ]. 3: 50-60.
Maekawa, K. (2008). Balanced Corpus of Contemporary Written Japanese. In Huang, C.-R., Mikami, Y., Hasida, K., & Tokunaga, T. (Eds.) Proceedings of The 6th Workshop on Asian Language Resources (ALR 6), 101-102. Retrieved July 2012 from http://www.aclweb.org/anthology-new/I/I08/I08-7.pdf#page=109.
Maekawa, K. (2011). Development of Japanese Corpora at the National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics: With Emphasis on Five Sources of Difficulty in Japanese Corpus Development. Lexicography:Theoretical and Practical Perspectives (ASIALEX2011 Proceedings),17-26.
Miyajima, T.[宮島達夫] (1977). Tango no buntaiteki tokuchō [単語の文体的特徴]. In: Muramatsu Akira kyōju kanreki kinen Kokugogaku to kokugoshi [村松明教授還暦記念 国語学と国語史]. Tōkyō: Meiji shoin [明治書院]. 871-903.
Nakamichi, M. [中道真木男] (1989). Go no buntaiteki tokuchō [語の文体的特徴]. In: Keesu sutadei Nihongo no goi [ケーススタディ 日本語の語彙]. Tōkyō: Ōfūsha [桜楓社].
Nihongo-kyōiku Gakkai [日本語教育学会編] (1987). Nihongo-kyōiku jiten [日本語教育
事典]. Kihon-go, Kiso-go [基本語、基礎語]. 295. Taishukan shoten [大修館書店]
Pardeshi, P. (2012). Compilation of Japanese Basic Verb Usage Handbook for JFL Learners: A Project Report. Acta Linguistica Asiatica, 2(2), 37-63.
Reikai shin kokugo jiten [例解新国語辞典] (8th Ed.). (2012). Tokyo: Sanseido [三省堂].
Ruigojiten [類語辞典]. (2008). Tokyo: Kōdansha [講談社].
Tsukaikata no wakaru ruigo reikai jiten shinsouhan [使い方のわかる類語例解辞典新装版]. (2003). Tokyo: Shōgakukan [小学館].
Tuttle Concise Japanese Dictionary - Tuttle konsaisu eiwa-waei jiten [タトル・コンサイス英和・和英辞典] (2008). Rutland, Vermont, & Tokyo: Tuttle.
Yonekawa, A. [米川明彦] (2002). Dai 6 shō Isō to isōgo [第6章 位相と位相語]. In Asakura Nihongo kōza 4 – Goi – imi [朝倉日本語講座４ 語彙・意味]. Tōkyō: Asakura shoten [朝倉書店].
Copyright (c) 2012 Kanako MAEBO
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.