The Construction of a Database to Support the Compilation of Japanese Learners’ Dictionaries
The number of Japanese language learners outside Japan, especially of advanced level learners, is increasing yearly. From the intermediate level onwards, they could profit from bilingual Japanese learners’ dictionaries in their native language, but in most linguistic areas of the world only very simple dictionaries for beginners and for tourists are available. Our project therefore aims at supporting the compilation of Japanese language learners’ dictionaries for intermediate and advanced learners by building a database of contents needed when editing a Japanese language learners’ dictionary, and offering it online. This 4 year project is going to be running from 2011 to 2014. Two surveys were conducted: a survey of the vocabulary used in textbooks of Japanese as a foreign language and a quantitative survey on the targeted area of the Japanese language in a large-scale corpus, in order to select the list of words to be included in the database, and a general list of basic vocabulary for Japanese language instruction was created. At present, usage examples are being compiled on the basis of this vocabulary list, and a database system is being developed. A prototype of a database search interface and download system has been completed. The database is going to include various types of information which are considered to be useful for learners, such as grammar, phonetics, synonyms, collocations, stylistics, learners’ errors etc. These are presently being studied in detail to be made public in 2014.
Den, Y. [伝康晴], Ogiso, T. [小木曽智信], Ogura, H. [小椋秀樹], Yamada, A. [山田篤], Minematsu, N. [峯松信明], Uchimoto, K. [内元清貴] & Koiso, H. [小磯花絵] (2007). Koopasu nihongogaku no tame no gengo shigen: keitaisokaisekiyou denshika jisho no kaihatsu to sono ouyou [コーパス日本語学のための言語資源：形態素解析用電子化辞書の開発とその応用] ("The development of an electronic dictionary for morphological analysis and its application to Japanese corpus linguistics"), Nihongokagaku [日本語科学] ("Japanese linguistics") 22: 101-122.
Kawamura, Y. et al. (2012). The Reading Tutor Web Dictionary - Chuta no web jisho [チュウ太のweb辞書]. Retrieved from: http://chuta.jp/
Kudo, T. (2011). MeCab: yet another part-of-speech and morphological analyzer. Retrieved from http://mecab.sourceforge.net/
Lee, J.[李在鎬] (2011). Nihongo nōryoku shiken no chōsen: Atarashii nihongo nōryoku shiken wo rei ni (Kokusai kōryū kikin jigyō repōto 14) [日本語能力試験の挑戦～新しい日本語能力試験を例に(国際交流基金事業レポート14)] (“The challenge of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test: The case of the new Japanese Language proficiency test” [Japan Foundation Project Report 14]), Nihongogaku [日本語学] (“Japanese Language”) 30(1), 95-107.
National Institute for Japanese Language and Linguistics [国立国語研究所] (ed.) (2004). Bunrui goihyō zouhokaiteiban [分類語彙表増補改訂版] ("Table of vocabulary by semantic categories"). Tokyo: Dainihontosho [大日本図書].
Oshio, K. [押尾和美], Akimoto, M.[秋元美晴], Takeda, A.[武田明子], Abe, Y.[阿部洋子], Takanashi, M.[高梨美穂], Yanagisawa, Y.[柳澤好昭], Iwamoto, R.[岩元隆一], & Ishige, J.[石毛順子] (2008). Atarashii nihongo nōryoku shiken no tame no goi-hyō sakusei ni mukete [新しい日本語能力試験のための語彙表作成にむけて] (“Towards a new vocabulary list for the new Japanese Language Proficiency Test”), Kokusai kōryū kikin nihongokyōiku kiyō [国際交流基金日本語教育紀要] ("Japan Foundation Japanese Language Journal"), 4,71-86.
Copyright (c) 2012 Yuriko SUNAKAWA, Jae-ho LEE, Mari TAKAHARA
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.