Kokugo Dictionaries as Tools for Learners: Problems and Potential
For second-language learners, monolingual dictionaries can be useful tools because they often provide more detailed explanations of meanings and more extensive vocabulary coverage than bilingual dictionaries do. While learners of English have access to many monolingual dictionaries designed specifically to meet their needs, learners of Japanese must make do with Kokugo dictionaries, that is, monolingual dictionaries intended for native Japanese speakers. This paper, after briefly describing Kokugo dictionaries in general, analyzes a typical entry from such a dictionary to illustrate the advantages and challenges of the use of Kokugo dictionaries by learners of Japanese.
Béjoint, H. (2010). The lexicography of English. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Cowie, A. P. (1999). English dictionaries for foreign learners: A history. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.
Daijirin [大辞林] (3rd ed.). (2006). Tōkyō: Sanseidō [三省堂].
Daijisen [大辞泉] (1st ed., revised). (1998). Tōkyō: Shōgakukan [小学館].
Dictionary of basic Japanese usage for foreigners [外国人のための基本語用例辞典 Gaikokujin no tame no kihongo yōrei jiten] (3rd ed.). (1990). Tōkyō: Printing Bureau, Ministry of Finance [大蔵省印刷局 Ōkurashō Insatsukyoku].
Ishiyama, M. [石山茂利夫]. (2007). Kokugo jisho: Dare mo shiranai shusshō no himitsu [国語辞書 誰も知らない出生の秘密]. Tōkyō: Sōshisha [草思社].
Iwanami kokugo jiten [岩波国語辞典] (7th ed.). (2011). Tōkyō: Iwanami Shoten [岩波書店].
Jim Breen’s WWWJDIC. Retrieved from http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/cgi-bin/wwwjdic.cgi?1C
Kanjibiki gyakuhiki daijirin [漢字引き・逆引き大辞林]. (1997). Tōkyō: Sanseidō [三省堂].
Kenkyusha’s new Japanese-English dictionary [研究社新和英大辞典 Kenkyūsha shin Wa-Ei daijiten] (5th ed.). (2003). Tōkyō: Kenkyūsha [研究社].
Kōjien [広辞苑] (6th ed.). (2008). Tōkyō: Iwanami Shoten [岩波書店].
Kurashima, N. [倉島長正]. (1997). ‘Kokugo’ to ‘kokugo jiten’ no jidai, jō: Sono rekishi [「国語」と「国語辞典」の時代・上 —その歴史—]. Tōkyō: Shōgakukan [小学館].
Kurashima, N. [倉島長正]. (2010). Kokugo jisho 100-nen: Nihongo o tsukamaeyō to kutō shita hitobito no monogatari [国語辞書100年 日本語をつかめようと苦闘した人々の物語. Tōkyō: Ohfu [おうふう].
Meikyō kokugo jiten [明鏡国語辞典] (2nd ed.). (2010). Tōkyō: Taishūkan [大修館].
Nihon kokugo daijiten [日本国語大辞典] (2nd ed.). (2001). Tōkyō: Shōgakukan [小学館].
Nishiyama, S., & QQQ no Kai [西山里美とQQQの会]. (1992). Jisho ga konna ni omoshirokute ii kashira: Sanseidō “Shimeikai kokugo jiten” shukan ni ateta santsū no tegami [辞書がこんなに面白くていいかしら 三省堂『新明解国語辞典』主幹に宛てた三通の手紙]. Tōkyō: JICC.
Okimori, T. [沖森卓也], Kurashima, T. [倉島節尚], Katō, T. [加藤知己], & Makino, T. [牧野武則]. (1996). Nihon jisho jiten [日本辞書辞典]. Tōkyō: Ohfu [おうふう].
Sanseidō kokugo jiten [三省堂国語辞典] (6th ed.). (2007). Tōkyō: Sanseidō [三省堂].
Shinmeikai kokugo jiten [新明解国語辞典] (7th ed.). (2011). Tōkyō: Sanseidō [三省堂].
Shogakukan progressive Japanese-English dictionary [小学館プログレッシブ和英中辞典 Shōgakukan puroguresshibu Wa-Ei chūjiten] (4th ed.). (2011). Tōkyō: Shōgakukan [小学館].
Copyright (c) 2012 Tom GALLY
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published online in journal Acta Linguistica Asiatica by Ljubljana University Press, Faculty of Arts (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.