A Whirlwind of Emotions in the Poetry of Marceline Desbordes-Valmore or the Poetisation of a Love Story
The subject of this paper is not only the love poetry of Marceline Desbordes-Valmore, which belongs to her early creative phase, but also her personal story, which was marked by a stormy relationship that unfortunately did not come to a happy end. Sainte-Beuve, who knew Marceline personally, described her as a very gentle, instinctive, and emotional poet. Through selected verses we examine her gift of “weeping”, which she received with the departure of her lover, whose identity remains a mystery despite much speculation. Marceline established herself in the “Romantic school” with her simplicity and sincerity of expression, with poetry that boils with emotion. She even managed to approach the essence of lyrical poetry. While we can attribute pathos and sadness to her work, but there is no trace of artificiality in these verses. When analysing the motifs, we draw on episodes from her life, and at the same time look at her most important inspiration in the first years of her work, the power of love. We follow the effects that misunderstandings, confusion, disappointment, desolation, sadness etc. have left in the verses. We consider the deliriums, dreams, and illusions in which she sees and hears her lover again, but without causing her physical exhaustion. Finally, our discussion touches on the gradual change of mood that prevails in the poems. They become dark and morbid, and herald a thematic break that occurs in her following collections.
AMBRIERE, Francis (1987) Le siècle des Valmore : Marceline Desbordes-Valmore et les siens, II. 1840- 1892. Paris : Éditions du Seuil.
BOULENGER, Jacques (1909) Marceline Desbordes-Valmore D’après ses papiers inédits. Paris : Arthème Fayard, éditeur.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline (1819) Élégies, Marie et Romances. Paris : Imprimerie de Richomme.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline (1825) Élégies et Poésies Nouvelles. Paris : Imprimerie de Firmin Didot.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline (1830) Poésies de Madame Desbordes-Valmore, tome I-III. Paris : A. Boulland, Libraire-Editeur.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline, (1860) Poésies Inédites de Madame Desbordes-Valmore, par M. Gustave Revilliod, Genève : Imprimerie de Jules Fick.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline (1820) Poèmes de Mme Desbordes-Valmore. Paris : François Louis, Libraire.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline (1833) Œuvres de Madame Desbordes Valmore. Bruxelles : E. Laurent, imprimeur-éditeur.
DESBORDES-VALMORE, Marceline (1833) Les Pleurs, poésies nouvelles. Paris : Charpentier, Libraire.
DESCAVES, Lucien (1910) La vie douloureuse de Marceline Desbordes-Valmore. Paris : Éditons d’art et de littérature.
GIRAUD, Victor (1935) « Revue littéraire : Marceline », Revue des Deux Mondes vol. 29, no. 1, pp. 218–230. <https://www.jstor.org/stable/44848411> (consulté le 15 juillet 2020)
LEMAITRE, Jules (1899) Les contemporains : Etudes et Portraits littéraire, septième série. Paris : Société française d’imprimerie et de librairie. pp. 1–46.
MONTEGUT, Emile (1860) « Portraits poétiques : Mme Desbordes-Valmore », Revue des Deux Mondes, Vol. 30, n°. 4. pp. 997–1016. <https://www.jstor.org/stable/44728016 > (consulté le 20 avril 2019)
POTEZ, Henri (1897) « La poésie de Marceline Desbordes-Valmore », Revue d’Histoire littéraire de la France, n° 4, pp. 481–523. <https://www.jstor.org/stable/40517691> (consulté le 20 juillet 2020)
RIVIERE, Benjamin (1896) Correspondance intime de Marceline Desbordes-Valmore, tome I. Paris : Alphonse Lemerre, Editeur. pp. 134–135.
ROGER-VASSELIN, Bruno (2004) « Louise Labé et l’écriture au féminin », L’information littéraire, Vol. 56, n°. 4, pp. 8–17. <https://www.cairn-int.info/revue-l-information-litteraire-2004-4-page-8.htm> (consulté le 3 novembre 2020)
SAINTE-BEUVE (1889) Portraits contemporains par C.-A. Sainte-Beuve. Paris : Calmann Lévy, Editeur. pp. 91–114.
SAINTE-BEUVE (1833) « Poètes et romancières modernes de la France. VII. Mme Desbordes-Valmore », Revue des Deux Mondes, DEUXIÈME SÉRIE, 3, n° 3. pp. 241–255. <https://www.jstor.org/stable/44688351> (cnsulté le 20 juillet 2020)
Copyright (c) 2020 Kim Fuchs Godec
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Journal for Foreign Languages by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the publisher right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.