Poetry text in verse in the development of lexical competence in a Portuguese as a foreign language
The purpose of this article is to reflect on the use of poetry in the process of teaching and learning Portuguese as a foreign language; more specifically, in the development of lexical competence. Our aim is to reveal the potential of poetry with regard to the creation of exercises of lexical expansion, and we specify in which ways the features of poetry may contribute to the development of lexical competence. We analyse the concepts of lexicon, vocabularyand lexical competence, while examining their approach in the Common European Framework of Languages (2011), and we point out several strategies to develop this competence in foreign language class. We present a pedagogical and didactical intervention which took place in the module Lexical Seminar IV at Charles University of Prague, Czech Republic, in the academic year of 2017/2018, and we detail the context and selected methodologies, the didactic proposals applied, as well as the results obtained and the effectiveness of the performed intervention.
Copyright (c) 2019 Beatriz Moreira de Oliveira
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.