Milton Hatoum, Intertextualiy and Memory of Literature
AbstractMemory can be considered as the central element of the narrative aesthetics of contemporary Brazilian author Milton Hatoum. His works thematize the phenomenon and role of memory and also problematize the act of memory as well. Further, the narrative structure of Hatoum’s fiction can be regarded as the result of recollection, necessary for the reconstruction of personal or family history. In this sense, we believe that the work of this writer comprises another phenomenon that can be viewed in relation to memory, thereby offering new lines of interpretation, that is intertextuality. As a literary device, intertextuality reveals itself as a universal in Hatoum’s texts, in the form of relationships created not only with Brazilian and foreign textual references but also with the works of the author himself. The study of the intertextual dimension in the light of memory, reveals this equally important aspect of Hatoum’s use of memory as a literary theme and device.
Copyright (c) 2017 Majda Bojić
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.