Types of Modality and Values of Future in Contemporary European Portuguese - A Proposal of Campos (1998) and some Exemples from the Narrative Text Memorial do Convento of José Saramago
AbstractThe starting point for this article is the initial universally acknowledged consideration that the forms of future tenses, in natural languages and as well in contemporary European Portuguese, are associated, in addition to the temporal values, also to the modal ones. In view of the article’s outcomes, it seems safe to conclude that in contemporary European Portuguese, the future tense, denominated futuro em -r-, considering its temporal values and uses, implicates always a modal component that cannot be evacuated.
Considering the theoretical framework of Campos (1998), it can also be claimed that, in the light of the continuous scale of assertive values (escala contínua de valores assertivos), the modal values, marked by futuro em -r-, can be represented in this scale so that the ‘future of supposition’ is situated at a point near to, or coincident with the pole zero - the pole of non-assertion. The ‘future of certainty’, in turn, can be represented as situated at a point which tends to the pole one - the pole of the assertion, positive or negative. The observations of Campos (1998) were exemplified by some examples of European Portuguese, that is, some narrative sequences taken from the work of José Saramago’s Memorial do Convento, which constituted the corpus of analysis, to illustrate and verify each of the values, as proposed in Campos (1998). The analysis of the forms of the ‘futuro em -r-’ in the narrative sequences analyzed proved the classification of the uses and values of the Campos proposal (1998).
Copyright (c) 2017 Blažka Müller Pograjc
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.