Borges and his games with time
Keywords:Borges, metaphysics, time, game, essays, poems, fantastic short stories
The paper explores different modalities of time in essays, short stories and poems by J. L. Borges, as time was one of the key themes in his works. The introduction deals with the ludic character of Borges´s writings. We argue that for Borges, a game is a cipher to the world, literature and even metaphysics and emphasize that the works by Borges are based on a free approach to literary tradition. He perceived philosophical texts as aesthetical artefacts and used them as a foundation on which to build his poems and short stories. The body of the work consists of three parts. First, we analyse Borges´s essays which deal with the issue of time. We briefly describe the genre and the style and we try to outline Borges´s mechanism of thinking. In the second part, we look at Borges´s reflexive poetry and explore the recurrent Heraclitan motif of panta rhei and the motif of the Eternal Return. The third part focuses on Borges´s fantastic short stories in which time becomes the protagonist. In the conclusion, we note that while in Borges´s poetry the philosophical questions about the passing of time acquire an existential dimension, in his fantastic short stories, their function is more ludic.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.