The certainty of existence according to the deconstruction of past time in Tierra de nadie by Ángel García López
Keywords:Ángel García López, Tierra de nadie, existence, identity, past time
The Spanish poet Ángel García López began writing in the 1960’s and continues to write today. Although his poetical corpus is extensive, this article focuses on a specifi c book of poetry, Tierra de nadie, which is his second one. Tierra de nadie turns on the paradox of writing both from and into past experience. García López attempts to describe that experience using the feeling of terrible bereavement. However, the past time turns into a creative space where memory becomes the focal point of the poetry, which in García López is always a form of displacement and recognition. The poetic is subsumed in the domain of memory. Thus the poet is able to travel through the rooms of childhood, the landscapes of southern Andalusia and reproduce the sounds of the speech of Western Andalusia. Aft er capturing in this a memory of the past, the poet lays it bare to reveal the origin of its being. The memories of the past go beyond their traditional sense and acquire a transcendental meaning. Only when the lost past is integrated into present time, can the lyric voice take a step towards full maturity and act out new scenes in the stage of life.
How to Cite
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.