Nuances in the representation of time in the works of Miguel Delibes
This work analyzes the representation of time and its nuances in the novels and newspaper articles of Miguel Delibes. The category of time is related to an idea of existence that follows the cycles of nature; it is a natural and mythical time, both a personal and collective one, whose fleeting nature can be halted only by the power of words. In his works Delibes tries to preserve a vocabulary on the verge of extinction in today’s day and age. The ironic tone in which he reflects on the relentless fl owing of existence – such as in La hoja roja, Cartas de amor de un sexagenario voluptuoso and other articles – is juxtaposed to a more serious and careful tone adopted for instance, in Viejas historias de Castilla la Vieja (1964). Moreover, the theme of death is linked to the passing of time. In Señora de rojo sobre fondo gris Delibes analyzes it as a reflection of his tough personal experience, while in Cinco horas con Mario the author takes advantage of the absence of the male protagonist, who has just died, in order to reflect on the abyss separating the present from the past.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.