Limit-experience of time in Zoé Valdés's Querido primer novio
Keywords:time, limit-experience, Zoé Valdés
AbstractZoé Valdés, a Cuban writer currently living in exile in France, wrote Dear First Love, a story narrated by multiple narrator-characters, including Time itself. In this book, the time in which the characters and objects exist is transient, however, it is possible to determine the moment of enunciation and in this way discover that the story is a myth created within that fiction. This emerges from the discordancy between actual time and mythical time, a subject much discussed by Paul Ricoeur. The protagonist of the novel travels backin time by means of her memory, while at the same time goes on an actual journey to rescue the beloved of his memories. Such limit-experiences are associated with the axial moment, since without the latter it is not possible to understand the chronological succession of events: one cannot tell what came first or what comes next. Limit-experiences occur when monumental time in the novel coincides with the chronological time of the characters. When trying to explain this situation, it becomes clear that the character develops his orher life and actions at their own pace within their world, and thus time may have a different meaning for each of the characters.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Torijano Navarrete, O. (2013). Limit-experience of time in Zoé Valdés’s Querido primer novio. Verba Hispanica, 21(1), 227–237. https://doi.org/10.4312/vh.21.1.227-237
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.