An archipelago of resistance: Matías Escalera Corderos poetry
Keywords:Matías Escalera Cordero, XXth century Spanish poetry
AbstractMatias Escalera Corderos poetry is characterised by long verses; it is typically involved, deeply reflective and thought-provoking; it is aware of its own temporality, desires and intentions and presents a complex web of philosophical interconnections and tensions. It stands in contrast to the straight forward, superficial perception of life which contemporary society imparts to us. The poetry articulates an explicit dialogocity and duality, a dialectic indeed. This is poetry which presents an interesting juxtaposition of voices borne by constant, syntactic syncopations, like inserts which reannounce what has already been written and improvise on it, elaborating on it, correcting it, putting it more precisely, developing or even contradicting it, engaging in a conversation with it, forever expanding it. Thus, there are two levels of enunciation in the text, which converge in a somewhat incongruous perspective on the text and context, but which nevertheless leads to a very clear philosophical and political standpoint, one which pleads for heterogeneity and permanent contrastas a prequisite for understanding reality. In short, it provides us with the tools to take a fresh look at reality, which goes beyond appearances and whichseeks to reveal the deeper connections that tie events and people beyond the apparent remoteness of the present as shaped by our elusive modernity.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
García-Teresa, A. (2013). An archipelago of resistance: Matías Escalera Corderos poetry. Verba Hispanica, 21(1), 131–141. https://doi.org/10.4312/vh.21.1.131-141
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Verba Hispanica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.