Skice za zgodovino slovenske glasbe 20. stoletja
The publication of this book, described by its author as a “work in progress,” is an important landmark in the author’s quest for exploring his personal research process, whose origins can be traced back to the last years of the past century, and whose crown jewel is his monumental monograph published late last year that discusses the same time frame as this book. The author’s characterization of his work as “unfinished” is probably due to two reasons: in addition to trying to logically connect individual, narrowly focused studies into a whole, another reason might be the fact that it is difficult to treat the music of that period as monolithic. One of the characteristics of the twentieth century is that it is multifaceted, with personal styles and coexisting trends that greatly differ in their attitudes. Gregor Pompe pursues the goal of covering an entire range of creative choices, which is quite an arduous task given the rapid changes in stylistic features and introduction of perpetually new compositional techniques. Each “sketch”, each article on a chosen aspect of a certain composer’s work, can be seen as a piece of the mosaic that depicts the most common features of the musical twentieth century in Slovenia, which was rich and diverse, but also marked by distinctive breaks. It is thus not just a collection of mostly unpublished texts in Slovenian: rather the author enriches them with a wider view of the Slovenian musical space by outlining a kind of musical map, and at the same time explicitly states his opinions on many issues that had previously been unresolved. The work ultimately, however, remains at a sketch-level as there are still many blank spots on this musical map.
Gregor Pompe. Skice za zgodovino slovenske glasbe 20. stoletja. [Sketches for the History of Slovenian Twentieth-Century Music.] Glasba na Slovenskem po letu 1918. Ljubljana: Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete, 2019.
Copyright (c) 2020 Larisa Vrhunc
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.