Music During the Great War in Slovenia
The contribution is a survey of music as a social practice on the territory of today’s Slovenia during the Great War. It addresses the Slovenian music culture during the Great War from three complementary perspectives. Firstly, it gives a glimpse of the musical practice in Ljubljana, where, beside the entertaining music practice, subscription concerts were offered as well. The second section, the most elaborated one, focuses on the Slovenian music production connected to the Great War in two respects: on the music for (and about) it, as well as on the musical practice based on the events of the period that is considered, by many, to be odious. It offers a taste of the musical culture in Slovenia during the Great War and of the repertories of music pertaining to soldiery, concentrating on one in-depth analytical fragment of the song Tam na karpatskoj gori (Prošnja umirajočega junaka). Thirdly, the last section is devoted to the reception of the music connected to the Great War in Slovenia after 1918.
Copyright (c) 2017 Leon Stefanija
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.