All »Slovene Turtledove« (Slovenske Gerlice)
AbstractThe subject under discussion deals with four music collections with similar titles: Slovene Turtledove (Slovenska gerlica), (Fleišman's) Turtledove (Gerlica), (Kumar's) Turtledove (Grlica) and the Turtledove Review (Grlica). Hence the rather complicated heading of the article. - The Slovene Turtledove was published in seven volumes (1848, 1848, 1850, 1852, 1859, 1859, 1862). The third was edited by Gregor Rihar, and so were presumably the other six volumes. The fifth and the sixth represent a whole under the title: A Wreath of Slovene Poems by Dr. Fr. Prešeren. Tunes by Kamilo Mašek (Venec slovenskih pesem dr. Fr. Prešern-a. Napevi od Kamillo Mašek-a). The seventh volume was edited by Jurij Fleišman. - After having issued the seventh, i.e. last volume of the Slovene Turtledove, in 1864 Jurij Fleišman published a second edition in three volumes under the title Turtledove, in which he made a selection of melodies from the former collection. Fleišman does not seem to have intended to publish the entire song-book, choosing only the »hits« from the Slovene Turtledove, and issuing them as Turtledove. Apart from that, the third volume also contains songs from the first and second volume. - In Zagreb, towards the end of 1933, Srečko Kumar began editing and publishing a Periodical collection of youth music (Revijalna zbirka omladinske muzike), titled Turtledove. - In 1953, another Turtledove began to appear, this time with the subtitle Magazine for choral youth music, issued by the Work team of the Ljubljana secondary school music teachers, and published by Mladinska knjiga. In its ninth year of publication it was converted into a periodical for music education, with Pavle Kalan as editor. The changes were explained in an editorial under the heading Turtledove facing new tasks, and signed by the editorial and administrative boards. The musical supplements hardly altered in contrast to the changes in the textual sections. Nevertheless, in 1988, after 35 years since its founding, Turtledove, having reached its 28th volume, ceased to be published for good.
Copyright (c) 2005 Edo Škulj
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.