“Verwandlung” by Dora Pejačević as Heard by Arnold Schönberg
AbstractCroatian composer Dora Pejačević (1885-1923) wrote 1915 an occasional composition Verwandlung for alto, violin and organ or piano on verses by Karl Kraus for the wedding of her friend Sidonija Nádherný von Borutin which eventually didn't take place. Kraus planed to have performed the piece on one of his literary readings on 4th of December 1916 in Vienna and he showed the work Arnold Schönberg who praised it and especially commented one place in the score. Three strophes of Kraus's poem are the foundation for an extensive lyrical scene with instrumental interlude between the second and the third strophe which has a special place in the whole work. Late romantic harmony with labile tonality carries the emphasis of the expression. Kraus's verses evidently pushed the composer towards free musical flow and original harmony.
Copyright (c) 2007 Koraljka Kos
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.