Sighs in Advancing Years – Petrarch, Vinci, Wert and Marenzio
AbstractPetrarch’s sonnet »Se la mia vita da l’aspro tor-mento«, in which the poet is expressing the hope that advanced age will bring him the courage to admit to his lady his long suppressed feelings, is conceived as a single sentence. The three sixteenth-century composers whose settings are discussed – Pietro Vinci, Giaches de Wert and Luca Marenzio, approach their tasks differently. Vinci employs a reserved, motet-influenced style, Wert delights in responding to Petrarch’s suggestion of the waning beauty and advancing years with an ingenious symbolic scheme of cadential points, while Ma-renzio, reacting to the current fashion, opts for a texture in which singable phrases are shared by all four voices. In so doing, Marenzio slows down the pace of delivery and does not quite come up to the intensity with which Wert manages to rise to the challenges offered by Petrarch.
Copyright (c) 2007 Bojan Bujić
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.