»... however, it is necessary to cultivate our garden« Regarding Domestic Musicology
AbstractThis paper presents a kind of quasi-phenomenology of domestic musicology. In this case the notion domestic musicology stands for a particular kind of musicology that has its own presuppositions, preferences, procedures and results. Domestic musicology, for example, focuses on the music itself rather than on the scientific method, deals with domestic rather than foreign music, prefers an immediate approach towards its object, and in general maintains that it knows beforehand what the object of musicology is. The phenomenon of domestic musicology is analysed in relation to a report by a certain musicologist from Croatia at the congress of the International Musicological Society held in 1997 in London. The phenomenon is multilaterally reconsidered, starting from different theoretical conceptions: from the possibility of viewing domestic musicology in the context of the enlightenment tradition of empiricism, from the psychoanalytic concept of trauma, from the functionalist method as developed in the sociological theory of autopoetic systems, and from responsive phenomenology.
Copyright (c) 2000 Dalibor Davidović
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.