Slavko Osterc in Maribor
AbstractAlthough Slavko Osterc spent only a part of his youth in Maribor he kept up with the musical development there through his friends, musical colleagues and pupils until death. In Maribor he received the basis of musical instruction at the teachers' training college from H. Druzovič and E. Beran. In Maribor Osterc (almost certainly) started to compose. Maribor reproductive musicians (orchestras, choruses, individuals) were performing in Maribor, on Ptuj, at Celje and in Belgrade a great many of his early works from the so-called 'amateur' creative period (from 1920 to 1925, or to 1927 resp.). It is thanks to them that Osterc's name was already at an early time and frequently mentioned in Slovene, Yugoslav, and in Slovenia issued German, newspapers. In Maribor Osterc had several respectable friends, thus the bandmaster F. Herzog and the notary I. Ašič. Especially the latter was also Osterc's adviser, supporter, as well as performer of his lieder. By extending financial support he made it possible for Osterc to continue his studies in Prague, which was of decisive significance for Osterc's further development as a composer. Today Osterc's early works (those written up to 1923) remain almost unmentioned because he renounced them. Judging by the response they had been met with by the reviewers at that time they should, however, be made known again if we are to arrive at a complete picture of Osterc as a composer. Osterc was in Maribor (up to the 1925-26 season) undoubtedly the most often performed composer. This is true also of the period when he was active at Celje, as many of his compositions were here as well played by Maribor artists, in this way we can perhaps speak of 'Osterc's period' in the Slovene music (from 1922 to 1926) in Štajersko (Styria).
Copyright (c) 1995 Manica Špendal
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.