Slovene Musicians in Franjo Kuhač's Biographical and Musicographical Lexicon
AbstractThe task of the article is not to verify but to record and to give a general outline of the material about Slovene musicians which F. Kuhač collected for his Biographical and Musicographical Lexicon. This includes, besides the composers, who are the most numerous, also authors of song-books, reproductive artists, constructors of organs, and organizers of musical life. Further, it includes some information about the development of musical culture in Slovenia and about Slovene folk music. The material is in no single instance musicologically treated; it contains 197 appendiaes for 115 units. The authoress pays special attention to sources used by Kuhač for his material. These sources are divided into two groups: literature (reference works, history of music, periodicals, newspaper reviews) and sources in the narrower sense of the word (original documents found in archives or in private collections). On the basis of her presentation of the sources she manages also to reconstruct Kuhač's method of collecting the material. It certainly must be mentioned that Kuhač's extensive correspondence is not at all included in the material. When seeking objectively to evaluate the material collected from the viewpoint of its significance for contemporary musicology, the authoress first stresses its cultural-historical significance: today this material has become also the material for studying the development of musical lexicography and its achievements in Croatia. Its value for the history of Slovene music is in view of the existing technical literature of secondary importance. But even if this material remains a secondary source, its value grows as we are moving away from the time with which it deals. Besides, it is of genuine interest for the history of Slovene music also how this music made itself felt in the development of the Croatian musical historiography and lexicography.
Copyright (c) 1982 Dubravka Franković
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.