A Bibliographic Survey of the Compositions of Slavko Osterc
AbstractThe author gives a detailed bibliography of the compositions of Slavko Osterc (1895–1941), one of the central personalities in the Slovene music of the 20th century. The artistic legacy of this composer had a curious fate, for it was nearly destroyed only four years after his death. In a raid of American bombers on Ljubljana on the 9th March, 1945, one of the bombs fell on the house in which the composer's relatives lived. His father and mother-in-law were killed, his daughter, who is today a renowned Slovene painter, was injured. By a lucky chance that quarter of the house remained standing where, on the staircase between the first floor and the attic, a case containing the composer's works, stood. So it was possible to reach the case by removing the ruins covering it and then to lower the files of manuscripts by rope to the ground. The composer's works are today for the most part housed in the music department of the National and University Library in Ljubljana, so that only a small part is in the archives of other institutes or in private hands. Some compositions, among them a number of more important works, are still missing, but it is not certain that they are destroyed and so they will probably be eventually discovered after exhaustive searches. The present bibliography comprises all the compositions of Slavko Osterc which could be found in the material available today. In this bibliography the whereabouts of the compositions is also mentioned.
Copyright (c) 1970 Danilo Pokorn
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.