Rex Asiae et Ponti. A Work of Homage by Cyprian de Rore
AbstractThe author of the paper succeeded, on the basis of the concept of the letter which was addressed by Cyprian de Rore on the 1st May 1556 in Ferrara to Wolffgano Aurspergio from Carnia, in discovering the addressee of Rore's composition »Rex Asiae et Ponti«. He found out that the Wolffgano Aurspergio of the letter and Wolffang Aurspurg, whose praises are sung in the text of the composition, were one and the same person. Thus the author concluded that Rore could have presented his composition »Rex Asiae et Ponti« to none other than Wolfgang Engelbert I of the aristocratic family Auersperg in Carniola. According to Rore's letter »Rex Asiae et Ponti« is not the only or the first composition presented by the composer to Wolfgang Engelbert I. The work dealt with in the article is also an interesting indication of an early spreading of Venetian music to the areas included in present-day Slovenia.
Copyright (c) 1970 Bernhard Meier
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.