Narrations of a nation: Montenegrin self-representation through (re) construction of cultural memory
Keywords:Montenegro, national self-representation, cultural memory, opera, Balkanska carica (Balkan Empress), Nikola I Petrović Njegoš, Dionisio de Sarno-San Giorgio
AbstractThe paper considers a multi-levelled process of
construction and reconstruction of Montenegrin
cultural memory through the medieval national
history revived in the 19th
century theatre play
Balkanska carica (Balkan empress, 1884) by the
Prince and the first Montenegrin king Nikola I Petrović Njegoš, the opera with the same name by
Dionisio de Sarno-San Giorgio (1891) and then one
more time in 2006, when the opera was premiered,
in the given political and cultural contexts.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2015 Tatjana Marković
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Musicological Annual by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.