Periodisation of the Neolithic and radiocarbon chronology of the Early Neolithic and the beginning of the Middle Neolithic in Finland
Keywords: Early Neolithic, Middle Neolithic, periodisation, radiocarbon chronology, Finland
AbstractThis paper discusses the basis of Neolithic periodization used in mainland Finland. It is suggested that the periodization should be revised: boundary between the Middle and Late Neolithic periods should be moved to correspond the appearance of Corded Ware (ca. 2800 calBC), and a term Final Neolithic introduced to cover the final centuries of the Neolithic. This kind of division would reflect changes in the cultural development better than the currently used one. In addition, the chronological frames for the pottery types dated between the late 6th and mid-4th millennium calBC, i.e. the Early Neolithic and the beginning of Middle Neolithic, are presented.
Download data is not yet available.
How to Cite
Nordqvist, K., & Mökkönen, T. (2017). Periodisation of the Neolithic and radiocarbon chronology of the Early Neolithic and the beginning of the Middle Neolithic in Finland. Documenta Praehistorica, 44, 78-87. https://doi.org/10.4312/dp.44.5
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Documenta Praehistorica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.