“There you feel the warmth of foreign life”: Pacifistic Epistolary Novel by Zofka Kveder (1878–1926)
Keywords:Zofka Kveder, pacifism, Hanka, novel, war in literature
The present paper addresses the novel Hanka written by Slovene writer Zofka Kveder, published in Croatian in 1917 and translated into Slovene in 1938. The paper shows that this little-known war novel differs substantially from other war narratives and that it can be ranked among the eminent pacifistic literary works of the first two decades of the 20th century. At the same time, the paper questions the role of the texts of Slovenian authors written in a foreign language, and stands up for the view that the national literary sciences should consider the more appropriate placement of these texts in the literary canon.
How to Cite
Copyright (c) 2018 Irena Samide
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in journal Acta Neophilologica by Znanstvena založba Filozofske fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani (University of Ljubljana, Faculty of Arts, Aškerčeva 2, 1000 Ljubljana, Slovenia). Author’s name will be evident in the article in journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.